General Statement of Duties:
This crisis stabilization program is a short term, 7-bed intensive residential program staffed 24 hours a day to provide crisis services to individual with mental health and co-occurring disorders. This full-time position monitors the facility and the residents during shift hours. Provider must maintain safe conditions for the facility’s residents and provide general care and supervision. This requires that the provider remain awake, alert and available during all shift hours. Incumbent is responsible for preservation of the program expectations and for following CSU policies and procedures. Works with crisis stabilization team members, family members, other caregivers, and community resources in providing services to residents. Provides general supervision, safety monitoring, and assistance with adult daily living skills to residents. Completes administrative tasks within the facility. Assures compliance with agency policy, client rights, confidentiality, licensure regulations and Medicaid regulations as applicable.
The incumbent reports to the CSU Supervisor. Duties require application of clearly prescribed standard practices using several procedures, with some decision-making required. Questionable situations are referred to the supervisor.
This position is classified non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Major Essential Functions:
- Instructs and assists residents in basic independent living skills including: mobility, hygiene and self-care, home maintenance and safety; nutrition and home economics; social behavior and communication
- Leads residents in social and leisure activities.
- Provides supportive counseling and refers problems to appropriate staff members as required.
- Responds effectively during emergency situations and notifies supervisory personnel as appropriate.
- Acts as a liaison with family members and other concerned parties on behalf of residents.
- Secures the facility and performs bed checks per policies and procedures.
- Accurately completes administrative and other paperwork as required.
- Provides overnight supervision to residents.
- Maintains site in orderly fashion, performs basic household cleaning, as needed, to keep up attractive appearance.
- Regular and reliable attendance is expected.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of instruction for individuals with long-term or persistent mental illness.
- Basic knowledge of substance abuse issues.
- Knowledge of psychosocial rehabilitation principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of common housekeeping practices.
- Skills in preventing, diffusing and managing aggression.
- Skills in monitoring medication effects.
- Ability to provide effective supportive counseling and behavior management techniques.
- Ability to recognize and respond to medical emergencies.
- Ability to perform work assignments under little or no direct supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally, and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with residents, their families, co-workers and significant others.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelors level in Human Services or a combination of education and experience that is equivalent is required.
- QMHP (Qualified Mental Health Professional) Preferred
- Mandt Training
- CPR Certification
- First Aid Certification
- AED Training
Work Equipment: Telephone, PC, AED, Copier, misc. household appliances (i.e. washer/dryer, stove, dishwasher)
Work Environment: Residential setting with normal lighting levels, temperature, air quality, ventilation and noise levels.
Work Location: 1353 N. Main St., Harrisonburg, VA 22802
Work Hazards: Standard hazards associated with a mental health treatment environment. Standard hazards associated with human service residential environment including hazards associated with problem behaviors; behaviors and hazards associated with necessary use of medical procedures. Use of universal precautions required. Use of protective equipment recommended.
Work Schedule: Flexibility is required in order to meet and respond to coverage needs and individual residents’ needs. Regular attendance is expected.
Regular shift hours include:
- Wednesdays 7pm-11pm
- Friday: 9pm-9am
- Saturday: 9pm-9am
- Sunday: 9mp-9am